Re: How many files can be put in one directory?

On 20/06/02 Taegil Noh did speaketh:

> In shorts, Shells don't like long long list of
> files.

    Agreed. At work we have directories with thousands of files due to the
short-sightedness of some tool developers who thought it was ok to dump all
sourcecode into the same directory at build time. We've developed a few Perl
scripts for managing those files since the shell choked on them. Luckily
opendir() and readdir() have no such limitations.
    For performance reasons though, it's still best to read the file names one
at a time.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix