Re: ntpdate troubles

  Bill> Another stupid question: You *ARE* doing this as root, right?  It
  Bill> has to be run as root.

  Jerome> Yes

  Bill> The manpage for ntpdate says that "-d" won't actually set the
  Bill> clock.  Does "ntpdate -v -B ntp.apple.com" work (that is, without
  Bill> the "-d")?

  Jerome> without the "-d" it does not work.
  Jerome>
  Jerome> That the point:
  Jerome> I CANNOT set the clock !
  Jerome>
  Jerome> "-d" and "-q" seem to neutralize the setting operation:
  Jerome> in a few words, ntpdate only fails to set the clocks.

  Bill> If not, then you are probably correct that it's a privilege
  Bill> problem somewhere....  Of course, at boot time it *WOULD* be run
  Bill> as root.  Unless you are using a name at boot time and that name
  Bill> is not being resolved into an IP.  Did you try rebooting, making
  Bill> sure that ntpdate would use an IP at boot time?

  Jerome> There is the same error message in the syslog file.

That is so cool! :-)

But the error says:

  no server suitable for synchronization found

which would not lead you to believe that you aren't allowed to
update the clock.  That message would lead you to believe that
you couldn't find or contact the host you want to ntpdate
against.

I have to admit that this is beyond me.  If you are really
  a) getting the same error message every time ("no server
     suitable for synchronization found") and
  b) you are running as root and
  c) you are using the IP address (rather than a hostname) and
  d) ntpdate "works" if you don't actually set the clock
     (that is, ntpdate "works" in debug mode) --
-- well, it sounds impossible.
Clearly it isn't since you have the problem.

I've looked through the manpages for ntpdate and ntpd to see if
they might yield a clue but didn't see anything.

Sorry Jerome, but I am out of ideas at the moment.

Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?

- Bill