Re: generic ps2 mouse driver

on Wed, Jun 19, 2002, Raffaele Sandrini (rasa@gmx.ch) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to set up a large amout of systems with Debian. While the systems are
> more or less the same (or ordered in bigger groups) there are many different
> ps2 mice around. They are "randomly" atached to a system and we don't care
> about wich mouse is pluged to wich system. The range goes from IntelliMouse
> over "normal" "nonwheeled" mouse to logitech ones.
> I ask you now if there is a 100% way (99% are enough :-) ) to sucessfully run
> all mice on all systems with the same config --> is there a generic ps2
> Driver? I search something like "Standard PS/2 Mouse" on M$ Windows wich can
> manage all ps2 mice.
>
> Its not necessary that gpm can manage it only XFree86 has to.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, you'll want the following section:

    Section "InputDevice"
	    Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
	    Driver          "mouse"
	    Option          "CorePointer"
	    Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
	    Option          "Protocol"              "Intellimouse"
	    Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
    EndSection

...which will work for virtually any PS/2 based mouse.  Possibly
substituting "Microsoft" for Intellimouse (the IM is a wheel-mouse)
above.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/