RE:generic ps2 mouse driver

Raffaele Sandrini writes:
 > "nonwheeled" mouse to logitech ones. I ask you now if there is a
 > 100% way (99% are enough :-) ) to sucessfully run all mice on all
 > systems with the same config --> is there a generic ps2 Driver? I
 > search something like "Standard PS/2 Mouse" on M$ Windows wich can
 > manage all ps2 mice.
 >
 > Its not necessary that gpm can manage it only XFree86 has to.

Well, if you do use gpm, you can have it autodetect the mouse by
setting the type to autops2:

% cat /etc/gpm.conf
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=
%

You can change the repeat_type to something that everything can
use--I've never tried this, but it seems like it should work.  Try it
with imps2, for instance, or just ps2.

Then, the X config file only needs to use whatever protocol you
specified and needs to point to /dev/gpmdata.

Andrew.