Re: OS hallucinates hard drive geometry

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 21:03, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> What does your BIOS think the size and geometry of your drive are?
Bios believes CHS is 2495/255/63, and size is about 2e10 bytes (I
didn't write down the exact number).

> I'm thinking the problem is that Linux is getting confused by the
> BIOS.

I don't think so, though I did before.  First, this problem didn't
exist a few months ago, and I've had the same bios.  Second,
2495/255/63 should be correct: 2495*255*63*(512 bytes/sector) *
(1GB/2^30 bytes) = 19.1GB (the actual capacity of my HD).

(it IS 512 bytes per sector, right?)

Thanks anyway though - I didn't think to check this out until you
suggested it, and that's valuable.  Any other ideas?

P.S.:
> I think there's also a way to pass the real disk geometry to the
> Linux kernel using a LILO (or GRUB, etc) parameter, ie. to override
> the BIOS values. You'd have to investigate this solution yourself
> though, as I've never tried it.

You are correct on this, incidentally.  The correct param is "hd=C/H/S"
(from [kernel-source]/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt)