Re: OS hallucinates hard drive geometry

Aaron Maxwell wrote:
>   shiznit:~# df -h
>   Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>   /dev/hda1              11G  4.5G  6.0G  43% /
>   /dev/hda2             926M   65M  814M   8% /mnt/hda2
>
> Note that:
> 1) /dev/hda2 is smaller than it should be.
> 2) /dev/hda3 could not be mounted at all.
>
> I tried the partitioning with fdisk, cfdisk, and parted (I decided not
> to try sfdisk yet).  Same results, except parted produced this warning:
>   Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is
>   2495/255/63.  Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 8032.499M.
>
> I'm not clear on what to try next.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance.

What does your BIOS think the size and geometry of your drive are?

I'm thinking the problem is that Linux is getting confused by the BIOS.
This happened to me when I tried to install a 60G drive into my 3 year
old PC, until I flashed the BIOS to the latest version.

I think there's also a way to pass the real disk geometry to the Linux
kernel using a LILO (or GRUB, etc) parameter, ie. to override the BIOS
values. You'd have to investigate this solution yourself though, as I've
never tried it.

Matthew