Re: kernel upgrade to 2.4.18 (Solved, but...)

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:33:17PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I upgraded to Woody two or three months ago, but did not upgrade the kernel
> then because I did not feel confident of my ability to read and follow the
> various directions. Recent posts in this thread gave me a feeling of
> confidence, so I've attempted to follow the recipe given. Now I need help.
>
> The given recipe is:
>
> apt-get install kernel-sources-2.4.18
> cd /usr/src/kernel-sources-2.4.18
> make oldconfig
> (interactive config work (I chose all defaults) )
> make-kpkg --revision ofc1.x binary
> cd /usr/src
> dpkg -i kernel-images-2.4.18_ofc1.x_i386.deb
> (reboot)
>
> At first glance, this worked, but I have no network access.
> Further, investigation shows that there several error messages scrolling by
> during boot. One says "ds: no socket drivers loaded!"
> Another says "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate char-major-10-135"
> I look in /lib/modules/2.4.18 and find vastly fewer modules than in
> /lib/modules/2.2.19
>
> I look for ways to compile modules, but all I find is an instruction to cd to
> /usr/src/modules, but I have no such directory. What should I do to get my
> modules?
>
> I've already tried
> make-kpkg buildpackage
> and
> make-kpkg modules_image
>
> Both return almost immediately, with criptic lines of script code displayed.
> Are the modules sources in a different package? What is its name?
>
> TIA
> --

I worked some more on this. I could not get make-kpkg to make modules even
though that capability is clearly indicated in the man page. I wanted to make
it work because I have been messed up before by mixing two different
procedures.

In this case the solution to my problem was, simply to do:

make modules
make modules_install

With this approach, a modules_image debian package is never created, which
seems not to be what is intended by the Debian approach.

Has the Debian approach worked for anyone who wants a full install, including
modules? Take care in answering yes. If you try on a system that already has
the correct set of modules installed, you may never notice that the script is
failing. I suspect there is a bug here.

I hope someone can point out to me what I was doing wrong.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com