Re: kernel upgrade to 2.4.18 (Solved, but...)

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Has the Debian approach worked for anyone who wants a full install, including
> modules? Take care in answering yes.

OK, yes.  BUT the only modules which I've _needed_ to create "the Debian
way" are the pcmcia-cs modules, which are unpacked from the pcmcia-cs
package into /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs, and those are the only modules in
the modules directory.  However, in /lib/modules/2.4.18/ is a bunch of
other stuff; and I _always_ (re)move my old modules directory when
installing a new kernel.  I'm pretty sure (the experts can speak to it)
that dpkg -i <kernel-image> takes care of installing everything which you
select _as a module_ during the kernel config, and that you only need to
make modules the Debian way when they are third party modules like
pcmcia-cs.  BICBW ;)

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman