Re: kernel upgrade to 2.4.18

I upgraded to Woody two or three months ago, but did not upgrade the kernel
then because I did not feel confident of my ability to read and follow the
various directions. Recent posts in this thread gave me a feeling of
confidence, so I've attempted to follow the recipe given. Now I need help.

The given recipe is:

apt-get install kernel-sources-2.4.18
cd /usr/src/kernel-sources-2.4.18
make oldconfig
(interactive config work (I chose all defaults) )
make-kpkg --revision ofc1.x binary
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i kernel-images-2.4.18_ofc1.x_i386.deb
(reboot)

At first glance, this worked, but I have no network access.
Further, investigation shows that there several error messages scrolling by
during boot. One says "ds: no socket drivers loaded!"
Another says "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate char-major-10-135"
I look in /lib/modules/2.4.18 and find vastly fewer modules than in
/lib/modules/2.2.19

I look for ways to compile modules, but all I find is an instruction to cd to
/usr/src/modules, but I have no such directory. What should I do to get my
modules?

I've already tried
make-kpkg buildpackage
and
make-kpkg modules_image

Both return almost immediately, with criptic lines of script code displayed.
Are the modules sources in a different package? What is its name?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com