Re: sound problems...

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:27:33 -0500 (EST)
alo@purdue.edu wrote:

> I've been having a hell of a time attempting to get my audio to
> work. I have a Via82C686 card with an AC'97 codec deal (I think).

[snip]

> the volume levels to the max. I've tried playing a file in XMMS
> but it pops up an error window asking about the output
> configuration, etc. So at this point, I'm totally clueless. I've

Well... would be interesting to know what the _exact_ text of this
error message actually is. Even while it sometimes seems a little
difficult to get all the channels unmuted in the right way in ALSA,
my first guess here would be that (in case you're logged on to your
machine as a user != root, which I really hope) there's a problem
with the permissions of the sound devices. Are you able to play
sound as root? Is your everyday user account allowed to make use of
/dev/dsp (e.g. is this user a member of group 'audio')? Besides
that, did you run the snddevices script in the ALSA source tree that
installs the alsa sound drivers?

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)