SOLVED! sound problems...

> my first guess here would be that (in case you're logged on to your
> machine as a user != root, which I really hope) there's a problem
> with the permissions of the sound devices. Are you able to play
> sound as root? Is your everyday user account allowed to make use of
> /dev/dsp (e.g. is this user a member of group 'audio')? Besides
> that, did you run the snddevices script in the ALSA source tree that
> installs the alsa sound drivers?

All I needed to do the entire time was to set permissions on /dev/dsp0! Thank
you to Kris, the simplest things cause the biggest problems. So for future
archive reference for those who might have the same problems, I have a Via82C686
sound card. Just follow the quick install instructions and use chown to set
permissions on /dev/dsp0 and you're set.

Alex