sound problems...

I've been having a hell of a time attempting to get my audio to work. I have a
Via82C686 card with an AC'97 codec deal (I think). I've been trying to use ALSA
to get sound, but I've followed all the quick installs and everything else.
Here's what I have in a file within my /etc/modutils

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

#ALSA Aliases
alias snd-card-0 snd-via686
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

#OSS/Free portion - Via 686
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

All the modules seem to be loading correctly, when I run lsmod every appears to
be fine. I've unmuted all the channels and set the volume levels to the max.
I've tried playing a file in XMMS but it pops up an error window asking about
the output configuration, etc. So at this point, I'm totally clueless. I've been
reading the thread "can't get audio to work" and he seems to be having similiar
problems. I compile my own kernel, if that matters. Can anyone help?

Alex