Re: tar question from newbie

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 19:23, Abner Gershon wrote:

> This is very frustrating. I have 3 Linux books that I
> have consulted as well as the man page and I can't
> figure out how to use tar to back up my /home
> directory from where it resides on /dev/hdd to my
> other hard drive /dev/hdb7.

Other people have told you how to fix the tar command. One other thing
that you may want to consider is a different tool than tar if you plan
to regularly backup your home directory to another disk. I'm personally
fond of faubackup, which can do incremental backups, and still maintain
a mirror of your original directory. Just run it once a day:

  faubackup /home/abner /mnt/abner

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA