tar question from newbie

This is very frustrating. I have 3 Linux books that I
have consulted as well as the man page and I can't
figure out how to use tar to back up my /home
directory from where it resides on /dev/hdd to my
other hard drive /dev/hdb7.

I accidentaly ran fsck today without making the file
system read only which I later read was a no no and I
am wondering if this may have lead to a problem. I
never received any message that any of the files were
damaged though.

Anyway I change to my home directory, "cd /home". Then
type "tar -cf /mnt/abner" (I previously mounted
/dev/hdb7 to /mnt)

Then I get the error message,"tar: Cowardly refusing
to create and empty archive". I fooled around for a
couple of hours with different sources and
destinations for tar file but always got the same
error message. Aaarghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I am logged on as root if this helps.

I desperately await your replies. Thanks.