Re: apt-get source <package>

<quote who="Erik Mathisen">
> Hello,
>
> I have a question.  I normally use
>
>  apt-get install <package>
>
> to install any package on my system.  Now I have seen how you can use
>
>   apt-get source <package>
>
> and then compile it own your own machine.  Now what I was wondering, is
> there an advantage to doing this?  If so, what is it, and how much of an
> advantage is it.  Also, is there a script of a program that will run an

some people prefer to compile everything from source ..

i use this feature to modify the files to make a custom package.

e.g.

- i apt-get source the openldap stuff so i can turn on SSL/TLS
- i apt-get source the procps package so i can enable SMP support in top
- i apt-get source php4 so i can recompile it with the new openldap
libraries(unless i do this, everything segfaults under php)

i also apt-get source stuff to recompile woody apps on potato(when
possible/needed).

I apt-get source whenever possible over using normal .tar.gz since
it is easier to maintain and has most everything needed to work under
debian(e.g. init scripts).

of course most things that i do apt-get source i also mark them as
HOLD in the dpkg database so my next upgrade doesn't overwrite my
custom packages. i do this by doing:

dpkg --get-selections >selections
(edit selections, change 'install' to 'hold' for the packages i want to
hold)
dpkg --set-selections <selections

of course it introduces some manual labor next time an update comes out
if I want to upgrade, I have to apt-get source all over again.

hope this helps

nate