Re: OT: How to find a modem that works with Linux...

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:06:46PM +1000, Chris Kenrick wrote:
| I'm just about to do a motherboard upgrade, and that will mean replacing
| my current modem, which is unfortunately ISA based.
|
| Anyone able to recommend options for a replacement?  I know that the
| cheaper internal modems are very likely to be winmodems, and (possibly)
| unsupported, but I'm not so sure about the others.  Note that even
| though I've heard arguments that external modems are much better than
| internal because you can see what's happening with the lights, I've
| never really had trouble with the internal one as such, and not having
| to find space for YAP (yet another peripheral) is a good thing.  If
| external is better to guarantee that it works with Linux, then that's
| fine too.

My perspective/opinion :
    1)  external modem is "real" and complete, not "win"
    2)  ISA modems were all (or mostly) made before the "win" craze
    3)  PCI modems -- look for the word "win" in the
        packaging/documentation or mention of specific drivers or
        windows operating systems.

I actually have never had a PCI modem.  All the modems I have are
either external or ISA, and only some have even been tried in linux
(and those that were tried worked perfectly -- it's just a serial port
after all).

HTH,
-D

--

If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/