Re: Nasty X + Mozilla bug...

on Mon, Jun 17, 2002, Gerhard Gaussling (ggrubbish@web.de) wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Am Sonntag, 16. Juni 2002 08:17 schrieb Karsten M. Self:
>
> > >  [...]
> > > but I'm wondering if it breaks the page layout.
> >
> > Define "breaking page layout".
>
> According the meaning of css-capabilities I define it as arranging
> page-elements pixel-by-pixel.

That doesn't convey much, but if you mean what I think you mean,
you're wrong.

> > My experience is that websites render consistently and readably.
>
> Do you mean: In the manner of 'I can literally read the phrases'?

I mean I don't have a fucking carnival of fonts, sizes, etc., flying
past me.  I pick the fonts and sizes I prefer to view text at.  That's
what I get.

> > I've only seen one site that fails to render readably.  For the
> > most part, standardizing results is far preferable to seeing the
> > crud webmonkeys are churning out these days.
>
> css comming up to be a standard. I agree that there is really cruel
> design out there on the net: Unuseful and overwhelming with it's
> flicking and flashing effects.

The !important tag puts ultimate control in the user's hands.

> > Let's repeat together:  "HTML is not a presentation language.
> > Flash is crap to five nines."
>
> Crap to 'five nines' relative to what?

That 1 in 10,000 flash animations might actually be worth looking at,
and present information not possible to present in text or conventional
graphics.  Frankly I suspect that count is high.  The potential for
abuse far outweighs any potential benefit.  It also gives me a fast way
to sort out sites not worth visiting.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/