Re: Nasty X + Mozilla bug...

Hi Karsten,

Am Montag, 17. Juni 2002 01:36 schrieb Karsten M. Self:

> > According the meaning of css-capabilities I define it as
> > arranging page-elements pixel-by-pixel.
>
> That doesn't convey much, but if you mean what I think you mean,
> you're wrong.

In a drawing it's really helpful for a digital reproduction to know
where to find the edges between the colors.

Ok, HTML really didn't start as a presentation language like ps or
pdf or all the other adobe stuff, but if you want to communicate,
_not_ by words only, it's simply helpfull to have a language that
knows how to describe your figurative vision.

The net might be not the media for it, not yet. LINUX, open-source
and all that neat stuff are fortunateley not depending on all that
media hype, but there is a space in the net for using this kind of
communication. I think there is no point to ignore it completely.

> > > My experience is that websites render consistently and
> > > readably.
> >
> > Do you mean: In the manner of 'I can literally read the
> > phrases'?
>
> I mean I don't have a fucking carnival of fonts, sizes, etc.,
> flying past me.  I pick the fonts and sizes I prefer to view text
> at.  That's what I get.

Ok, really, you're right. It's really ( more than the 'crude flash
monkeyes' want to know ) necessary to think about the limitation of
users, especially of users like you and me.

Probably svg will make it...

> > > I've only seen one site that fails to render readably.  For
> > > the most part, standardizing results is far preferable to
> > > seeing the crud webmonkeys are churning out these days.
> >
> > css comming up to be a standard. I agree that there is really
> > cruel design out there on the net: Unuseful and overwhelming
> > with it's flicking and flashing effects.
>
> The !important tag puts ultimate control in the user's hands.

Yes it's neat to manage yourself all the stuff.
It's also important what the sender really meant.

> > > Let's repeat together:  "HTML is not a presentation language.
> > > Flash is crap to five nines."
> >
> > Crap to 'five nines' relative to what?
>
> That 1 in 10,000 flash animations might actually be worth looking
> at, and present information not possible to present in text or
> conventional graphics.  Frankly I suspect that count is high.
> The potential for abuse far outweighs any potential benefit.  It
> also gives me a fast way to sort out sites not worth visiting.

It's your choice, and I understand your point, but it's also a bit
ignorant to that site of the net, like _they_ are ignorant to our
community.

> Peace.

regards

gerhard