Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Thursday 06 June 2002 11:35 am, Ivo Wever wrote:
> >[snippety] But as a distribution, it's head and shoulders above the
> >competition.
>
> If the other dists are so terrible that they can't even support the
> internet connection of a small group of people for three hours a day,
> then why is anyone using them and using them in a commercial
> environment at that?

Ivo, there is no such thing as "One size fits all."

For example, Red Hat worked well for me as a server and a desk top
environment for a time.  My needs have changed.  I now have too many
services running off of one main computer, and two servers that don't
have the RAM needed to install Red Hat.  I was forced to leave Red Hat
because of the two low RAM servers.  And Red Hat's upgrades are too
unreliable, and I've been hacked when I've not upgraded.  I can't
afford to keep an extra non-production box lying around just so I can
upgrade it to the latest and greatest RH dist., and then move all the
services over to that box, etc.

There are many computer professionals and companies who swear by Red
Hat.  These people have the money to have high memory servers and
plenty of extra computers lying around that they can upgrade off line,
and once they're upgraded then move all the active services to them.
I'm not in that position.  So just because some Linux distributions are
highly touted and used by very competent people doesn't mean that those
distributions will work for everyone.

I am very happy with Debian's approach.  The provide a stable, reliable
operating system that runs on all my servers.  Thankfully they upgrade
individual packages on a regular basis, and, from what I gather, only
do major upgrades (Potato to Woody, etc) every year or two.  This is
exactly what my non-profit, non-income system needs.

The Debian developers have my sincere appreciation.  I'll take stable
over cutting edge any day.

Glen