Re: Debian: abandon ship?

Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> Windows may be not behave decently at all, but it sells as it is, and
> it's not only marketing. I can see some of the reasons:
>
> 1 - They do invest in their product, but thy'll target the users and do
>     whatever they want.The UI, for example, that most hackers find terrible,
>     works well for most "clueless" users. Microsoft gives people what they

  as far as I can tell that's not true. it doesn't work well, they
cannot do basic stuff even after years of use - they just repeat few
tasks they learned (talking about clueless users). I see them completely
fooled by windows interface again and again...

> 2 - Development tools. This is how they built the empire. Don't exepct
>     all developers to be brilliant. Build tools with graphical
>     interfaces and a lot of automated stuff. No complexity -- languages
>     like VB are just perfect for the person who just wants to see their
>     "Hello world" program working. They won't understand too much about
>     the underlying framework. These people will gradually move to making
>     useful programs (well, if pople use them they're useful) in VB (or
>     ASP, or wahtever).
>     The point is: if you target the *good* developer, you won't sell too
>     much. And if you don't sell a lot of compilers and devel tools, you
>     won't have a lot of applications written for your OS (who's going to
>     write the applications? You, alone?) Ironically, Microsoft has used
>     the "power of thousands of developers all over the world" to build
>     their Empire. Hm, suddenly "Open Source" comes to mind. Wow.
>     Subtle. Efficient. People usually don't see this, but it's an
>     absolutely important point. Let the clueless develop. They'll build
>     an empire for you.

  consider how big the unix-side empire is (I mean the free software
mostly), built using mostly vi/cc/make (with little marketing, compared
to ms win). while people might be willng to code for windows for the
money they don't have to be dragge to unix, in fact volunteers built
unix(-like) environment (=linux, gnu and the rest). perhaps the
underlying quality of system has something to do with it...

> Now... See that quality is not necessarily what people want. Maybe
> ease-of-use is a priority to them.

  most people are simply too passive to resist what's rammed down their
throats. it doesn't have anything to do with properties/features of
windows.

  example - at my job we use win nt workstations to connect to unix
servers, therefore middle mouse button is fairly important (to paste
selection). however I am probably the only person who has three button
mouse, everybody else struggles with emulation, trying to click both
buttons at the same time, loosing selection in the process... (they
didn't even find that shift-ins pastes just like in the windows
programs!) day after day after day... all while worshipping the god of
blinking 12:00

  not that this matters that much, I basically agree with all your
points...

	erik