Configuring a NIC

I installed Debian and never got the network card recognized. I've been looking over past NIC configuration inquiries on this forum as well as at DebianHELP.org. Most of the solutions seem to involve finding drivers, making modules and compiling a new kernel. unfortunately downloading drivers is the only part of that process I can claim familiarity with! is there any place with Thorough documentation and step by step explanation?