Re: dd boot floppy to cd image

"Henning, Brian" wrote:

> I have a grub boot floopy that has no file system. It just boots into grub.
> I want to be able to put this floppy boot section onto a cd image to burn to
> a cd. I don't really care if the cd image has a file system or not. I just
> want it to boot grub. I am pretty sure I need to use dd to pull write the cd
> image. Can anyone give me a functional overview of what i need to do to make
> this work?

Well, I haven't tried this but it should work.  Assume you have mkisofs
and cdrecord already, and assume you have a floppy image called
'boot.img'.  If you have the floppy but no image, run 'dd if=/dev/fd0
of=boot.img bs=10k count=144' assuming it's a 1.44 floppy.  Put this
boot.img in an otherwise empty directory, and from that directory run

mkisofs -b boot.img -c boot.catalog . | cdrecord -v .

mkisofs will generate the boot.catalog file for you.  Add '-dummy' to
cdrecord if you want a test run first.  If cdrecord doesn't know about
your cdr then you'll need to add 'dev=x,y,z' and possibly 'speed=n'.  If
you just want to create the .iso file then you can use '-o boot.iso'
with mkisofs instead of piping it to cdrecord.  The '.' at the end of
mkisofs is still required though.

There's a file 'README.eltorrito' in /usr/share/doc/mkisofs that
explains how to do boot CDs.

Brian