How to get the ALSA driver to start at boot?

I managed to get my sound setup to the point where I can get sound
by running 'modprobe snd-via8233' and some commands for unmuting the appropriate channels. However, I would prefer the driver being loaded by the ALSA entry in /etc/init.d, since the alsa config files seem to load the driver with a bunch of options and perhaps I need them later [also, simply throwing the driver in /etc/modules seems like an ad-hoc solution, something I don't like by principle].

Now it says in the 'INSTALL' doc (that comes with alsa-drivers) that one has to add some aliases to /etc/modules.conf. I think (I'm not very good at reading bash-scripts yet) that /etc/init.d/alsa also looks for a 'snd-card-0' alias, created in /etc/modules.conf (one of the requested aliases) and despite adding the requested lines to modules.conf, those lines have dissapeared from modules.conf again [which, I gather from the remarks in modules.conf, was to be expected]. Consequently, alsa fails at boottime.

BTW, I couldn't use alsaconf, because that doesn't support my driver yet.

P.S. I think a correct setup also unmutes the mixer automagically, but assuming I can't get it to work other than using the ad-hoc solution: in what file should I put the commands that unmute the mixers?

sincerely
--
Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl