Re: debian is neat but how do I turn the computer off?

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:12:35AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> poweroff just does the same as "shutdown -h now" for me: turns off the
> disks only.  On mandrake 7.2 however, "shutdown -h now" does indeed
> turn off the whole computer, cold, quiet.  So what have I not
> adjusted?

You need to turn on APM support in the kernel.  Presuming you are using
LILO as your bootloader, adding

append = "apm = on"

to /etc/lilo.conf should do the trick.  If you're running GRUB, add

apm=on

to the parameters of the "kernel" line in /etc/grub.conf

- Chris