Re: debian is neat but how do I turn the computer off?

C> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:12:35AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
>> poweroff just does the same as "shutdown -h now" for me: turns off the
>> disks only.  On mandrake 7.2 however, "shutdown -h now" does indeed
>> turn off the whole computer, cold, quiet.  So what have I not
>> adjusted?

C> You need to turn on APM support in the kernel.  Presuming you are using
C> LILO as your bootloader, adding

C> append = "apm = on"

C> to /etc/lilo.conf should do the trick.
append = " apm=on"
indeed seems to work, at least at a boot prompt trial [I don't tire
the disks by testing more than once a day]

Anyways, why then do I still see
Jun 14 09:10:51 debian kernel: apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.13)
Jun 14 09:10:51 debian kernel: apm: disabled on user request.
in the logs.  Where is it getting turned off?  Why isn't me turning it
back on mentioned?

By the way, of the other experiments:
insmod: apm: no module by that name found
I sure don't understand linux modules.  It cannot be found, but one
can turn it on at the boot prompt.

So I even did installed powermgmt-base, because I think there were
some "apm" words in there... zanier and zanier... coocoo

By the way, to read Chinese file names from vfat disks, on mandrake
one can see lsmod:
nls_cp950              98064   2  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3952   2  (autoclean)
whereas on debian I search low and high for anything with "950" in its
name... no go.  Is this another item for lilo append?  Only then can I
use them as fstab options?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780