Re: Woody NVIDIA X Setup

on Wed, Jun 12, 2002, Ed Cogburn (ecogburn@xtn.net) wrote:
> Bedford, Donald T. wrote:
>
> >When I upgraded/build a new kernel, I had a problem w/ the nvidia driver
> >and
> >ended up changing back to 'Driver      "nv"' (see step 6). Not optimal but
> >it works...
>

> That's not really a solution, because all you're doing is returning to
> the old, limited nvidia hardware driver, "nv", that comes with X11.  The
> driver from NVIDIA is more optimized for the hardware than "nv" is.
> However, if you're not interested in 3D type apps like Quake, and you're
> only interested in a 2D desktop then you probably don't "need" the
> NVIDIA driver, and could get by with "nv".  I suppose the NVIDIA driver
> has better optimizations for 2D acceleration too, but it probably isn't
> a big enough difference to matter that much.  If you want 3D
> acceleration though, and OpenGL support, you really have to use NVIDIA's
> driver, not "nv".

Agreed, in spades. However, I have noticed a substantial speedup,
especially when dealing with things like solid window dragging, with the
"nvidia" driver versus the "nv" one.

For the benefit of previous posters who recommended a tarball
installation of NVIDIA's driver there are debian packages, in woody, for
the NVIDIA drivers - they're in the contrib/x11 section.

Installation is straightforward:
1. apt-get the relevant packages (nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src)
2. build custom kernel package with make-kpkg and --added_modules
3. install it
4. build and install the nvidia-glx package (dpkg-buildpackage)
5. Change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
6. Play Quake III as reward for all your hard work.
7. Make a mental note to rebuild the nvidia kernel module if you change
kernels.

I am aware that this sequence of events may be somewhat suboptimal (step
6 excepted) - at the time I was new to Debian and basically made it up as
I went along. As the process as described Worked For Me I never really
pursued doing it The Right Way, which I'm fairly sure this is not.

If I had the knowhow I would write a script to do all this for you.
Perhaps I should obtain that knowhow and do it...

Take care,

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall