Re: Security in NON-US Woody Distribution.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 06:55:54PM +1200, arthur_dent wrote:
> Why is it that when I purchased the disks for Woody here in New
> Zealand ( I dont know if it's the same elsewhere) I get a lot of
> NON-US software that does not seem to have much security built in.
> i.e. I cant even log into hotmail or my bank using Konqueror browser
> and when I click on 'security' it says  "ssl support not available in
> this build"

I think you need to install the kdebase-crypto package, if you haven't
done so already.

> Is it because Debian provides source code to their programs which is
> under export restriction from the U.S.?
> If so, does that mean that anyone wishing to use some form of high
> Encryption outside of the U.S. would be forced by default into using
> MS products, because they dont make the source available?

The non-US archive is run from the Netherlands, and doesn't suffer from
these export restrictions. Fortunately, the export restrictions are now
lenient enough that our lawyers have told us that it's OK to have
DFSG-free crypto in the US archive, which has been partially implemented
for woody (as much as was possible in the time available).