Re: Security in NON-US Woody Distribution.

Why is it that when I purchased the disks for Woody here in New Zealand ( I
dont know if it's the same elsewhere) I get a lot of NON-US software that
does not seem to have much security built in.
i.e. I cant even log into hotmail or my bank using Konqueror browser and when
I click on 'security' it says  "ssl support not available in this build"

Yet I can use Mozilla to do both the above tasks fine.

I can do either using MSIE6 and have many security options if I'm setting up
a server here in New Zealand.
Is it because Debian provides source code to their programs which is under
export restriction from the U.S.?
If so, does that mean that anyone wishing to use some form of high Encryption
outside of the U.S. would be forced by default into using MS products,
because they dont make the source available?
 Academic interest only, as I'm not intending to be arranging any big
servers, but I prefer to use Konqueror because it runs a lot quicker than
Mozilla on my laptop.
Regards
Arthur