Re: Make eth0 be eth1, something like eth0=eth1?

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 04:51:10PM +0200, Tobias Jahn wrote:
> I have not tested this, but try the following kernel parameter at boot time
> (i.e. in your lilo/grub configuration or by hand):
>
> ether=0,0,eth1
>
> (The format is ether=irq,addr,name where 0 indicates autoprobe for irq and
> addr.)
>
> As stated above, don't know if this works with a single nic.

I've just tested this on a laptop. But unfortunately it does not work for me.
I guess there is a way to pass some options to the kernel module for the
pcmcia-nic (pcnet_cs.o in my case).

If that does not help, it seems not to be possible to have eth1 without eth0.

Perhaps there is a way to create some "dummy" device eth1, which routes all
traffic to eth0 and vice versa. But this is very hypothetical and I don't
tried this :-(

--
Greetings,
Tobias