Re: howto manage programs compiled from source ???

"Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> writes:
> Where is some howto explaining ins and outs and options to managing
> programs compiled from source under debian?

I'm not sure if there's any concise documentation out there, but...

> Clearly, one reason to choose debian is apt/dpkg/dselect, et al.
> However, as we know, some programs may have to be compiled from source.
>
> It is also clear to me that such self compiled programs are not known to
> the package management databases and, therefore, are susceptible to
> being broken by subsequent package manager installations, &c.

If you install things under /usr/local, you get a guarantee that dpkg
won't touch them; the only things allowed to be installed there are
empty directories.  You might also consider using the 'equivs' package
to lie to dpkg about what's installed, if you consider this
necessary.  The 'stow' package can be useful for organizing
/usr/local, if you have lots of things installed there.

	-- Abra Mitchell