howto manage programs compiled from source ???

Where is some howto explaining ins and outs and options to managing
programs compiled from source under debian?

Clearly, one reason to choose debian is apt/dpkg/dselect, et al.
However, as we know, some programs may have to be compiled from source.

It is also clear to me that such self compiled programs are not known to
the package management databases and, therefore, are susceptible to
being broken by subsequent package manager installations, &c.

So, I am wondering whether or not there is some best practices already
written to address these concerns.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .