Re: howto manage programs compiled from source ???

On 07-Jun-2002 Michael D. Schleif wrote:

> Where is some howto explaining ins and outs and options to managing
> programs compiled from source under debian?
>
> Clearly, one reason to choose debian is apt/dpkg/dselect, et al.
> However, as we know, some programs may have to be compiled from source.
>
> It is also clear to me that such self compiled programs are not known to
> the package management databases and, therefore, are susceptible to
> being broken by subsequent package manager installations, &c.
>
> So, I am wondering whether or not there is some best practices already
> written to address these concerns.
>
> What do you think?

there are two groups of sources: packaged sources you compile and unpackaged.

The first case is fairly easy, you apt-get source the package, compile it and
place it on hold.

It is the second case that can get ugly.  The easiest solution is to install
everything not from a Debian package into /usr/local or maybe /opt.  The Debian
package system ignores these two hierarchies.

The problems arise when you have a package in Debian which needs a package that
you installed by source and thus have no way to satisfy the depends.  At this
point you can either make a dummy package to appease dpkg or look into the
'equivs' package.