Re: Why does Mozilla modify /etc/alternatives/netscape?

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:46:57AM -0400, Bruce wrote:
> HOWEVER, having now run mozilla, if I try to run "netscape" or "communicator"
> (which used to run Nescape 4.77), Mozilla starts. It looks as though my
> simply running Mozilla once changed /etc/alternatives/netscape to point to
> mozilla instead.
>
> I was able to fix this fairly easily by running "dpkg-reconfigure netscape",
> and now 4.77 works again. However, many Debian end users would not know what
> to do.
>
> Given the fact that, unfortunately, there are still many sites that do not
> work with mozilla, but do work with Netscape 4.77, is this a wise behaviour?

There are a bunch of different issues here IMHO:

1) Mozilla registers itself as an alternative for "netscape". Presumably
with a higher priority than navigator 4.77 (my workstation isn't switched
on atm for me to check). So running "netscape" runs Mozilla...

2) Updating alternatives ought to be done at install time, not run time, so
it should have happened when you *installed* Mozilla, not after you ran it.

3) Trying to run Navigator while Mozilla is running will just open a Mozilla
window, iirc, since Mozilla uses the NS4 protocol for detecting an
already-running instance of itself.

Hmm, since in theory Mozilla is a replacement for ns4.77, it is easy to see
why the alternative is registered. You should be able to run
"navigator-smotif-477" or sth even if ns4.77 isn't the current alternative
though.

And the Debian menu ought to point to specific versions. Not sure I've
checked this recently though...

And the command to change alternatives ought to be "update-alternatives",
not dpkg-reconfigure. Sounds like something nasty's going on.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@innocent.com
Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer                               araqnid@debian.org