Re: Why does Mozilla modify /etc/alternatives/netscape?

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 09:46, Bruce wrote:
> I am running Debian Woody/SID. I generally use Konqueror for browsing, though
> for some sites, I use Netscape v. 4.77, as Konqueror doesn't work well with
> them.
>
> I had Mozilla 1.0RC-2 installed, but had never run it until today. Looks
> great.
>
> Unfortunately, many sites I need to access EXPRESSLY DO NOT WORK with Mozilla
> or Netscape 6.0. These are unfortunately some of the most important sites I
> need to access, including some online banking sites, subscription based legal
> research sites, and others. They all work with Netscape 4.77. Most do not
> work with Mozilla/Netscape 6.
>
> HOWEVER, having now run mozilla, if I try to run "netscape" or "communicator"
> (which used to run Nescape 4.77), Mozilla starts. It looks as though my
> simply running Mozilla once changed /etc/alternatives/netscape to point to
> mozilla instead.
>
> I was able to fix this fairly easily by running "dpkg-reconfigure netscape",
> and now 4.77 works again. However, many Debian end users would not know what
> to do.
>
> Given the fact that, unfortunately, there are still many sites that do not
> work with mozilla, but do work with Netscape 4.77, is this a wise behaviour?
>
> Bruce

hmm, if this is repeatable, it should probably be sent to the maintaner
as a bug. I have been running mozilla and netscape for some time now
without this behaviour. It seems strange that running mozilla as a user
could modify a file under the /etc tree though. do you have some weird
permissions going on? because that shouldn't be possible.

-Mark