Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On  0, Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:
> David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> writes:
[snip]
> > (There's also the problem that each of the developers has their own
> > personal pet packages that they'd really like to make the "point
> > release", but it can't happen for everyone's packages, and someone
> > needs to make the decision.  Hypothetically, to pick one of my
> > packages, there could be a new lm-sensors release.  I say, "it's
> > important because it supports 17 new temperature sensor chips!"  But,
> > it includes libsensors2, which replaces libsensors1 and affects three
> > or four other packages; is it a "major change" or not?)
>
> I would define a major change to be something like the jump to gcc-3.1
> or a libc6 version change, ie. something the affects nearly everything
> in the archive.  I wouldn't consider a library that affects 3 or 4 other
> packages a major change.
>
> Why not just have point releases work in a similar manner to the
> testing->stable procedure, but on a smaller scale?  For example, a new
> testing pool based on the stable pool (called proposed-updates or
> whatever) could be opened for a month or so, during which updates and
> new packages could be uploaded.  After a month it could be frozen, and
> then for the next 2 months bugs could be worked out.  If something like
> the upgrade to libsensors2 broke too many things, it could be backed
> out.
>
> Then, after 3 months (theoretically, of course), a point release with
> newer packages could be available.

How will that be better and suffer from less release schedule problems
than testing?  As soon as the proposed-updates pool is opened, every
developer will want his/her package in there, because it is, of course,
important.  Then testing will become neglected, and every new package
will just go into proposed-updates, which then doesn't get released
because we're waiting on bug fixes, and security infrastructure...
what's the difference?

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"A child of five could understand this.  Fetch me a child of five."
	- Groucho Marx

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au