Woody and Xfree86 (v4)?

I am sett ng up woody on a laptop for the first time:

I initially apt-get installed xserver-xfree86

I did not have a startx script but 'X' appeared to start the server.

with a vesa server selected, i get an x desktop with horking mouse
(pointer moves) but no window manager

I installed xfonts-base and xfonfts-100dpi andblackbox and put
'exec /usr/bin/blackbox'  in a ~/.xseesion

still no window manager.

i tried apt-get kde, and got a bunch more stuff, including
a startx which tries to run kde, but the xserver no fails with "

"Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4, Server aborting"

any ideas?

aloha,