Re: persistent cookies in debian

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 06:48:46PM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I sent this question sometime last month but didn't see any replies. I
> don't know whether i didn't see the replies, nobody had an answer, or
> I asked a really dumb question. But dumb or not, I still don't have an
> answer so thought I'd try again.

There was one reply.  Google or the Debian mail archives will have it.
It doesn't address your problem directly I would say.

> I am trying to set up persistent cookies with lynx. I am accepting all
> cookies and have persistent_cookies set to true and my cookie file is
> supposed to be ~/.lynx_cookies. I've also done a search for any such
> file on my system. I can't find a cookie file anywhere and
> persistent_cookies isn't working. Yet I'm not having any trouble on
> sites that involve your allowing cookies, like some of the urls at
> yahoogroups.com. Am I missing something I need to be doing? Is the
> debian package of lynx-ssl compiled with exp_persistent_cookies?  TIA.

EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES is compiled in for my version of lynx-ssl.  You
can determine whether it is or not for your copy by accessing the
options menu with `o' and following the `Check your lynx.cfg' link.

The default cookie file is indeed ~/.lynx_cookies.  Having accepted a
persistent cookie lynx will create that file and write to it only when
you exit the program.  The file is not created or written to by session
cookies so it could be you have not encountered a persistent cookie.

Alternatively, it may be that COOKIE_FILE is set to something other than
~/.lynx_cookies.  It may also be worth checking ~/.lynxrc if it exists.
The cookie_file option in there overrides what is in /etc/lynx.cfg or
your personal lynx.cfg.

Brian.