Changing virtual screen size

When I use ctl-alt-+ to cycle through the modes in XFree86 (v 4.1 on
woody) it does not change the virtual desktop size.  So when I go from
1152 x 864 to 1024 x 768 some of the virtual desktop doesn't fit, and
I have to scroll around.

Is there a way to avoid this?  I have added
		Virtual 	0 0
to my Display section, as recommended on the XFree86 discussion list,
but this doesn't seem to help (that is, I logged out and back in, and
the X server appeared to reset, but I still see the old behavior).

I'm running KDE.