persistent cookies in debian

I sent this question sometime last month but didn't see any replies. I don't
know whether i didn't see the replies, nobody had an answer, or I asked a really
dumb question. But dumb or not, I still don't have an answer so thought I'd try
again.

I am trying to set up persistent cookies with lynx. I am accepting all cookies
and have persistent_cookies set to true and my cookie file is supposed to be
~/.lynx_cookies. I've also done a search for any such file on my system. I can't
find a cookie file anywhere and persistent_cookies isn't working. Yet I'm not having any trouble on sites that involve
your allowing cookies, like some of the urls at yahoogroups.com. Am I missing
something I need to be doing? Is the debian
package of lynx-ssl compiled with exp_persistent_cookies?
TIA.

Cheryl