Re: Debian:Abandon Ship

I'm a real newcomer to Linux I know virtually nothing about it. A couple of
years ago I went and got a Mandrake distro and tried to load it on my old
laptop. I never expected it to be perfect, but there were too many things
that went wrong..such as the lcd panel would sometimes flash off and on at
some hideous brightness levels.  I gave it away after replacing the display
panel.
This year I went and brought a Redhat 7.2 disk set and tried it on this
laptop again..it worked o.k. but I could never get my internal modem going as
I always got "incorrect kernel header" from trying to install a precompiled
rpm for the correct kernel, and all sorts of other messages if I tried to
build my own from source. I surfed the net and found a linux distributer here
in N.Z.(Phil Charles) and asked him via email which or who's distribution he
recomended in order that i might get this thing up and running on linux, my
main criteria was that it have good device support and everything be
matching( i.e. kernel headers etc) so that someone with zero real experience
might get his pc up and running on linux to begin exploring. He recomended
debian, and I bought a set of disks from him.
I installed Woody , and used the tar.gz modem source to build a .DEB package
and now have this laptop running  almost as well as it did with Windows, the
only things not functional (as far as I know) are the custom buttons, which I
never used anyway.
I find linux as confusing as anything, as there seems to be so much choise as
to what program you wish to use for agiven job. But it'll come.
So as far as I'm concerned Debian is  great. I hope it keeps going, I must
admit I sometimes find it hard to comprehend how you guys developing it keep
on keeping on, I was happy to be able to buy the disks I did as a tiny way of
supporting the distro.

A real newbies opinion :-)