Re: Global variables

On Thursday 06 June 2002 00:00, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:38:10 +0200 Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de>
> > OK, I don't know if this was already said, but I have to include
> >
> > if [ -f /etc/profile ]; then
> >   . /etc/profile
> > fi
>
> Are you sure you need that? Are you using bash?
>
> I have a call to /usr/games/fortune in my /etc/profile.
>
> I don't have a ~/.profile. I've just checked, and my ~/bash_profile
> sources ~/bashrc, which sources /etc/bash.bashrc, which sources
> /etc/bash_completion. So no reference to /etc/profile.

I have to admit the hack comes from a few years back, perhaps I was
running a somewhat strange version of bash back then (on SuSE you never
know). I just tried some things and it seems that .profile is never
called at all, neither from a console login prompt nor anywhere else.
As it's running fine the way it is, I don't think I want to change
things right now ;-)

Another thought: could it be that /etc/profile should source ~/.profile?
That would seem somewhat logical to me.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!