Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	So my motivation for working on free software (it pleases me,
>  and provides me with a stable box I can use) is condescending?

I am glad that your motivation is to create a stable box you can use ...
because so I can participate in this effort too.
What I see here is that a lot of people's mind is not on ease becuase of
Woody not yet being released ...yes, I have to confess that I am also
waiting ... but I think that it is worth it ... I come from windows,
changed to Linux via Red Hat,then changed to SuSE ... and now ended up
with Debian ... The Debian distro is the best piece of work I have seen
and used ... and it makes so much fun to work with ...
... but what makes Debian so special is the way it is built, composed
and developed ... I am running at the moment potato 2.2r5 ... somone
before said that it is not up to date (old fashioned) ... but it is stable ... something
credible and steady ... I do not want to spend my money every 6 month on
a so called new distro only to have the latest version of kde (give me
60 bucks and you get in our brand new distro Version 100.28 kde 8.0 ...
I tell you you need it ... maybe it is crashing 40% of the time - but it
is brandnew - you cannot have all at the same time) ... For me it is
very important to use and run a system that is trusted by the
developer's own quality scale and not a system designed by the profit of
a marketing management team ... first-class quality needs more time than
fast shots but it stands and continue a longer time ...

>  Am I now obligated to you for using my labour? Am I now to profess a
>  desire to please you just because you use software that I built, even
>  when the goal was never to please end users, but to get a nice
>  software for me and my collaborators?

I think you are right ... if the aim of development is the quality of a
product and not the selling (the profit of people that are selling a
bunch of lies that so called users want to buy) ... i can identify
myself with this distro ...

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang-bang fruit