Re: How to change resolution in X-window?

Markus wrote:

> I have a very simple but irritating problem: I have
> started (right after installation of Debian) startx
> and now it automatically starts every time the system
> is started. The resolution is though way too low
> (340*240 or something) and this causes huge
> difficulties in trying to get even to the basic menus.
> Is there any easy way to change the resolution? I
> can't even get to the 'Settings' menu because the menu
> bounces like an idiot if the popping menus get too
> big.

Well, this can be a simple or more involved issue.  Have you configured
XF86Config for your monitor?  If not then you need to do that first, and
the main thing you need to know is the vertical and horizontal refresh
rates that the monitor can handle.  You can get more info from the
XF86Config man page.

If you told the installer your monitor and video card info, there's a
chance that XF86Config is already set up, you just need to change the
default resolution.  While X is running you can use ctrl alt + and ctrl
alt - (use the keypad + and -) to switch resolutions.  To set the
resolution that X starts in, look at the "Modes" line under 'Section
"Screen"' in XF86Config.  There will be an entry for each color depth.
The order which modes are listed reflects the order that is cycled when
you do ctrl alt +/-.  The mode listed first is the one which X starts
with.

To fine tune the refresh rate, screen size/position, etc, use xvidtune.
After playing around with the settings, the program will print a
ModeLine for the settings you've chosen, which you then must copy/paste
into the correct place in XF86Config.  There should be a man page
installed for xvidtune.

I'm sure we can help you further with specifics once you know exactly
where you're at.

Brian