How to change resolution in X-window?

I have a very simple but irritating problem: I have
started (right after installation of Debian) startx
and now it automatically starts every time the system
is started. The resolution is though way too low
(340*240 or something) and this causes huge
difficulties in trying to get even to the basic menus.
Is there any easy way to change the resolution? I
can't even get to the 'Settings' menu because the menu
bounces like an idiot if the popping menus get too
big.

Regards,
 Markus