Re: How to change resolution in X-window?

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 02:24:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Markus" <mo_ma_fi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a very simple but irritating problem: I have
> started (right after installation of Debian) startx
> and now it automatically starts every time the system
You probably installed kdm/xdm/gdm. You can either remove if you don't
wan't it, or temporarily stop it from starting every time you boot by
renaming the symlink in you're default runlevel from SXXkdm into
something that doesn't start with a 'S' (or 'K').> is started. The
resolution is though way too low> (340*240 or something) and this causes
huge> difficulties in trying to get even to the basic menus.
> Is there any easy way to change the resolution?
Normally you can switch between 'modes' with 'ctrl alt +' or 'ctrl alt
-', but it sounds like you didn't configure X right, else it wouldn't
have taken such a low resolution. You probably have to edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config. I recommend reading the man page (man XF86Config)
and looking into /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what X has to say about
you're set up. There's also a prog that can make a XF86Config file for
you (I think it's called xf86config, but my experience is that the best
thing is to edit it by hand.

Tim