Desktop suitability (was Re: this post is not off-topic)

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:15:45AM -0300, synthespian wrote:
> 	You can't use Potato for a desktop (to outdated) and you remain in this
> security limbo...

<rant>

Why does everyone keep repeating this "potato is too old to be a
desktop" line?  I heartily disagree and I have somewhere in the
neighborhood of 35 office personnel (accountants, purchasing, etc. -
not technogeeks) to back me up.  They run potato or at-least-as-old
versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, or Suse[1] with StarOffice sitting on
top of them and not a one has complained about missing functionality
in the year I've been supporting them.

And for those who think that KDE or GNOME is the be-all of desktop
usability, I've got news for you:  I've started moving them over to
WindowMaker and they like it better.  When I first show them a wmaker
session, there's a little disorentation, but I make it clear that
they still have KDE/GNOME[1] available if they'd rather use that for
now.  Within a week, most are primarily using WindowMaker.

</rant>

[1]  The lack of standardization isn't my doing.  Previous admins
seem to have just run whatever shipped with each machine on it.  I've
made good progress towards cleaning things up, but don't expect to be
done with that project any time soon.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss