Re: Upgrade to Woody

Paladin <paladin@paladin.net.dhis.org> writes:
> I'm currently using Debian's stable release but, due to some delays in the
> versions of some libraries that won't let me compile some programs, I
> would like to upgrade to Woody. My question is (of course): how!?
> Is apt-get dist-upgrade safe enough?

It should be, yes.  Report bugs if it's not.

> Someone told me about "aptitude", but
> (again) I lack some libraries to compile a recent version of it.

Upgrading with aptitude would probably be useful.  You might try:

  (add woody to /etc/apt/sources.list)
  apt-get update
  apt-get install aptitude  # Gets most recent version
  aptitude

Pressing 'g' will take you to a screen listing *everything* that's
being upgraded/removed; pressing 'g' again will actually do it.  You
can look at what's being changed and alter the automatic selections if
you feel like; this is probably more informative and a little safer
(in the general "know what's on your system" sense) than a blind
'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

	-- Abra Mitchell