Re: Debian GIS

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> Can anybody recomend a good GIS (Geographical Information System)
> package for debian?  I did a quick search with 'apt-cache search GIS',
> but got a long list of unrelated results.  I've found GRASS on
> freshmeat, but there doesn't appear to be .deb available.

IMA (www.ima.sp.gov.br) is currently sponsoring the packaging of some GIS
related software, but I hear MapServer and GRASS are f***** painful to
package, and a major mess of dependencies, too.

Send email to gleydson@d.o (debian org) and ask him about the progress, last
time I talked to him about it, he had preliminar packages that require a
full php surgery on the system, and was trying to cleanup upstream mapserver
enough to allow for less intrusive packaging...  That is for MapServer. I
don't know about how much progress the GRASS packaging has seen so far.

  Henrique Holschuh