Re: Debian GIS

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:17:04PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> > Can anybody recomend a good GIS (Geographical Information System)
> > package for debian?  I did a quick search with 'apt-cache search GIS',
> > but got a long list of unrelated results.  I've found GRASS on
> > freshmeat, but there doesn't appear to be .deb available.
>
> IMA (www.ima.sp.gov.br) is currently sponsoring the packaging of some GIS
> related software, but I hear MapServer and GRASS are f***** painful to
> package, and a major mess of dependencies, too.

GRASS is easy enough to build from source (probably easier than dealing
with binaries).  There've been some recent experimental debs, but I
don't know the status of them currently.  Anyway, most of the
dependencies can easially be met in woody/unstable.  You might want to
grab libgeotiff and libgdal from remotesensing.org...  It's true, GRASS
is somewhat difficult to package (this is changing...). GRASS is best
for folks doing raster analysis/modeling.  The vector stuff isn't quite
"there" yet.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>