Re: Debian GIS

On 2002.06.05 12:17 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> Can anybody recomend a good GIS (Geographical Information System)
> package for debian?  I did a quick search with 'apt-cache search
GIS',
> but got a long list of unrelated results.  I've found GRASS on
> freshmeat, but there doesn't appear to be .deb available.

IMA (www.ima.sp.gov.br) is currently sponsoring the packaging of some
GIS
related software, but I hear MapServer and GRASS are f***** painful to
package, and a major mess of dependencies, too.

Send email to gleydson@d.o (debian org) and ask him about the
progress, last
time I talked to him about it, he had preliminar packages that require
full php surgery on the system, and was trying to cleanup upstream
mapserver
enough to allow for less intrusive packaging...  That is for
MapServer. I
don't know about how much progress the GRASS packaging has seen so
far.

Thanx Henrique. I dropped by the IMA site, but I'm afraid my portuguese is not up to snuff ;)

I'll give gleydson a ring, see what he's got.

Ian